Habari Gani!? Ujima.

This year I've decided to use my post-Christmas days to celebrate and reflect on the principles of Kwanzaa, a week-long African American holiday that honors African heritage.

Last night, I saw a great video at a Kwanzaa feast, titled
The Black Candle, an independent documentary film directed by M.K. Asante, Jr. and narrated by Maya Angelou. I'd already decided that I would be incorporating Kwanzaa into my yearly routine. However, after learning about the history, impact and importance of the 7-day celebration, I'm more excited to make the core principles of Kwanzaa a part of lifestyle.

The seven principles, or Nguzo Saba, are as follows:

1. Umoja: Unity
2. Kujichagulia: Self-Determination
3. Ujima: Collective Work and Responsibility
4. Ujamaa: Cooperative Economics
5. Nia: Purpose
6. Kuumba: Creativity
7. Imani: Faith

Today, I am praising how the principle of Ujima has actively flourished in my life and career. From the assistance of the talented mr. soul, the bartering of talents between myself and my cohorts, to the wisdom of my mother, there have been a great number of people who have made my 2008 a blessed year. Here's to 2009 and a bounty of Ujima!

1 Engage in Discourse:

Anonymous said...

So interesting that I found you. I did a search for The Black Candle because I just saw it tonight! WOW! Anyway, I love what I see on your blog as well. We saw the movie here in San Diego and it was so beautiful and inspirational. I also got the opportunity to see him and hear him talk about the film and his work. He started as a professor at 23! The man is amazing and beautiful and humble. I'm so inspired. Anyway, great post and I'll keep checking your blog. The film's website is www.theblackcandle.com
Lata

 
 
Copyright © ain hd: Honorable Discourse
Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes Design by Diovo.com