Writing in Web 2.0

As a writer, I've grown comfortable relying in the basic materials: pen, pad, and Microsoft Word. Now, with Twitter, the ever-growing blogosphere and other social networking sites, the Web has become not only a place where artists can showcase their work, but actually connect with established supporters, potential fans, and other artists. It used to be a pain scouring through websites of literary journals to whom I could submit my work with hopes that a poem would be placed and my name would appear on the coveted pages of Google. Now, all it takes is a couple clicks of a mouse, taps of the keyboard and minimal knowledge of keywords and you can spread yourself across the world.

Instead of mulling over where and how I could be seen/read, the question has become "What can
I put out there to make myself stand out as an upcoming writer and be taken seriously in the literary world respectively?"

Whether it's coming up with interesting blog topics or trying to figure out how much information I should actually share on Twitter, the Web 2.0 revolution has almost created as much stress as it has good. Now I'm faced with the matter of maintaining my image as a talented writer, and allowing the world to see that, even as a poet, I'm not
always deep and analytical as people would assume (when reading my work). It's a blessing and a curse. I'm able to reach the masses with little/no funds, yet taking advantage of the web robs people of the mystique that people have about artists whose personalities have generally been left to decode between pages, on canvas and other nonverbal mediums.

Either way it goes, I'm happy that I'm an artist in an age where my words can be stretched around the globe with a few clicks. The challenge is now figuring out how to make the most of these socializing opportunities.

0 Engage in Discourse:

 
 
Copyright © ain hd: Honorable Discourse
Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes Design by Diovo.com