"For Colored Girls..."

This past Sunday, I had a motivating ladies' day. My girlfriends and I went to see For colored girls who have considered suicide when the rainbow is enuf, by Ntozake Shange, which debuted on Broadway in 1976. This performance was (incredibly) directed by Jasmine Guy and starred Robin Givens and Nicole Ari Parker, among other beautiful and talented sisters.

I recall my mother having the book and me reading excerpts of the play many years ago. I can say that while I'm a huge advocate of reading, actually seeing the theatre production brought the words to life in a way that only a live show could. I was moved to laughter, tears, anger and above all, inspired. For colored girls... highlights the pain, strength, vulnerability, passion, beauty, wit and weaknesses of black women. Each character was the girl around the way, the aunt, the friend or a mirror of ourselves. I walked out with more understanding of myself as a black woman.

Needless to say, I'm certainly recommending the show to all who can catch it. I'm also encouraging everyone, including you men, to read the play.

0 Engage in Discourse:

 
 
Copyright © ain hd: Honorable Discourse
Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes Design by Diovo.com