Judging Books by Their Covers

Confession: I judge books by their covers.

I was recently pulled in by the simplicity and tone of the cover art of Sold by Patricia Mccormick and was impressed by an amazing story. Right now, on my current Amazon Wish List, I have a copy of Things Fall Apart (my 3rd) by Chinua Achebe, Sister Outsider: Essays and Speeches by Audre Lorde, and Home: Social Essays by LeRoi Jones. These are all incredible authors that I would love to support regardless of the aesthetics of their literature. However, it has always been so much easier for me to scoop a book when I knew it would look good on my book shelf. And these bundles of joy are certainly easy on the eye.

In all of my book cover vanity, I realized how important it was be for me to choose the perfect artist to design the cover of my first novel, A Teaspoon of Fiction. Thus, I approached Atlanta-based artist, Goldi Gold.

I recently wrote a bio for Goldi and in knowing his work and having documented his passion, I am looking forward to putting my vision in his creative care. I'm hoping to unveil my cover soon and truly be able to show that there does exist a beautiful marriage between visual and written art, because there's certainly nothing wrong with judging a book by its cover.

2 Engage in Discourse:

Yeavis28 said...

I love "Things Fall Apart" ...one of my favorite books...Chinua Achebe is a very underrated author...you should enjoy that one...

Ain HD said...

Yes, Yeavis. It's an amazing book. I've read it. I said "my 3rd" because it will be the 3rd copy I purchase. I simply love the most recent cover.

 
 
Copyright © ain hd: Honorable Discourse
Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes Design by Diovo.com